MBR gone and rescue disc not happy - HELP!!!!

Paul F. Johnson paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Thu Aug 23 08:34:17 UTC 2007

Hi,

My main HD has decided that the MBR should no longer work and be an unhappy
little monkey. The drive itself is physically fine (I've booted using RIPLinux
and run fsck over it).

The system currently does this. Start up is fine, all drives detected. I then
get "Booting from CD" twice and then the single word "GRUB". Then nothing. The
machine hasn't died or anything like that, just grub stops dead.

I've booted from the Fedora rescue CD and all seems okay. It does complain
that some of the points have not been mounted due to a problem. When I look in
/mnt/sysimage everything is more or less fine. /boot is on /dev/hda1 with the
LVM in /dev/hda2.

When I look in /dev though, I'm not seeing hda hda1 hda2 - infact, other than
VolGroup00, null and two others there is nothing in there, so I can't run
/sbin/grub-install.

Can someone please help me here? This is something new to me in Linux (I've
never had to reinstall grub) and I really need to get the drive up and running
again!

TTFN

Paul