Logrotate - daily log files for a month

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Thu Aug 23 15:20:34 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 00:34 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 15:27 +0100, John Horne wrote:
> > this does not account for month's of 31 days, or February with 28/29
> > days
>
> I'd guess that you'd have to do what banks do:  Do your activities on
> the first of the month.  If you do it close after midnight, you keep the
> last month's work, and start a new month's, hoping that you want nothing
> in the last few moments to be part of this month's data.

Not sure how this is going to help. How to do I configure this with
logrotate?

As far as I am aware logrotate runs daily, and since we want daily log
files I don't see how logrotate is going to know what a 'month' is on a
daily basis. I agree it knows what a 'month' is for monthly log file
rotation, simply because the month (name or number) changes.

What is needed it seems is logrotate to know that the month has changed,
but to keep to the daily log file rotation regardless of what 'rotate'
value is given. That way I get 31 log files for a 31-day month, 30 log
files for a 30-day month and so on.

John.