F7 is working fine

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Thu Aug 23 18:44:46 UTC 2007

On Thursday 23 August 2007 18:51, PerAntonRønning wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:

> >> Sounds good. But where is it? I have been looking around for a FC 7 iso
> >> DVD, but all sites stop at /6 and then they list /development - is this
> >> fc7? Is the iso DVD hidden within the .bittorrent, which I am absolutely
> >> new to? I've never used bittorrent,  I have never needed to. As I
> >> understand I have to download a torrent client, as a search tool(?) - is
> >> that up the same alley as FTP?  Pardon my ignorance, but i have lots to
> >> do and I must operate on a need to know basis. How do I extract the
> >> contents of a torrent file, is that something the torrent client program
> >> takes care of?
> >>
> >> Brgds
> >> PAR
> >
> > You can get it from here:
> > http://iso.linuxquestions.org/version.php?version=449
> >
> > I believe there are respins available for F7, which should have most
> > updates included, but don't know the URL for those.
> >
> > Nigel.
>
> I downloaded BitTorrent (rpm) for direct install, but it failed due to
> dependencies.
> It needed some newer Python elements than I have at present. But no
> worries, I finally found
> a FC 7 iso DVD and it is downloading now as we speak. It is huge, so it
> will take a while.
>
> Brgds
> PAR

Just as a suggestion, and has you have some time to go in downloading it (not
as bad as my 10 days on dialup though), if you have some spare harddrive
space, I'd install F7 separate to your current working system. I have seen
quite a lot of problems on the list from folks, either upgrading, or
overwriting a current working version of their distro. This way you can make
sure everything works as it did before, graphics card, ethernet, wireless,
etc. There can be nothing worse than doing an upgrade/fresh install, and it
won't boot, or you end up with a text login because there is a problem
between the graphics card, and the new distro version.

I always do it this way with Fedora. I have a bunch of distros on my 2
machines, and overwrite one of the earlier ones, which I'm willing to let go
of (not that I like trashing any of my Fedora versions). My Debian installs
have always upgraded ok (so far), but have just had a problem with upgrading
Kubuntu Breezy to Dapper (also a debian based distro, and only upgrading to
the next release, like going from FC6 to F7). 1st problem after the upgrade
was the screen resolution was screwed up. I mess with that, and reboot, and
end up in text mode. Some time later, and a bit of editing with nano, and now
it boots up ok, and Xstarts ok. Login to KDE, and the fonts are all super
dooper large (Déjavu ones) . Mess about with the fonts, and then try some
apps. Xawtv starts, but no video, or sound. It appears the options I needed
to set for bttv, and tda9887, are now being called from a different file, and
they arn't there. A bit of thinking, and putting the options in an
alternative file, and Xawtv is working again. There were 2, or 3 other things
that needed some work. I should have written all these fixes down, but the
objective was to get the system up and running as it had been before. I keep
telling myself to write it down, and immediately forget to do so.

I only say the above stuff, is because I don't want to see you either
upgrading, or overwriting your current working system, and finding that, for
some reason or other F7 has a problem, and to get up and running again you
end up with a bit less hair.

All the best with your F7 install.

Nigel.