Problems booting after new motherboard - label /1 not found

Ben Suffolk ben at vanilla.net
Fri Aug 24 09:42:13 UTC 2007

Hello All,

I have been using FC4 as a MythTV box for 18 months or so now and all
has been well. I'm not really all that upto speed with the Linux way
of doing things, so am a little stumped with this problem.

I went on Holiday and when I came back the power supply had blown in
the unit, and after replacing the power supply it looked like it had
taken the mother board out with it (or maybe the motherboard took the
power supply out, who knows). Anyway I had to put a different
motherboard in as I could not get the same one as I had before. I now
have an MSI K8MM3 board in, before I had a NFORCE3-A.

When I try to boot I get the following :

Booting 'Fedora Core (2.6.11-1.1369_FC4)'
kernel direct mapping tables upto ffff810100000000 @ 8000-c00
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet
   [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1e00, size=0x1da85c]
initrd /initrd-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4.img
   [Linux-inetrd @ 0x37ea9000, 0x146041 bytes]

.
Decompressing Liux...done.
Booting the kernel.
Rd Had nash version 4.2.15 starting
mkrootdev: label /1 not found
mount: error 2 mounting ext3
ERROR opeing /dev/concolse!!!!: 2
error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 0
error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 1
error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 2
switchroot: mount failed: 22

And there it hangs. I am guessing its something to do with the new MB
having different disk controllers in it.

I have tried booting with the FC4 recover cd, and it boots. I notice
it says, "Loading SATA_VIA driver", so I wonder if I need to get that
driver onto my existing system? or would that already be there?

It says the following files systems were not unmounted cleanly /dev/
sda1 I continue anyway, it then says an error occurred trying to
mount some of my filesystems.

It has mounted /dev/sda1 on /mnt/sysimage/boot as RW (ext2) and that
seems to be fine and intact, its also mounted /dev/sda2 on /mnt/
sysimage/ as RW (this on is ext3). Again it all seems to be intact.

The other volume I have is the data volume and is JFS on LVM, this I
guess is where the error occurred during mount so is probably not
really an issue at the moment, as the boot and root partitions are fine.

How should I proceed so that I can get the machine to boot again? I
hope I have given enough detailed information in this request to be
useful.

Regards

Ben