CUPS problem

PerAntonRønning pa-ronn at online.no
Fri Aug 24 11:16:34 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 15:33 +0200, PerAntonRønning wrote:
>
>> I did disable selinux, rebooted the machine, but nothing changed. So,
>> this may be due to some CUPS problem.  This is something I have never
>> done before - should I remove and then download and reinstall
>> the whole thing? Next thing may be to reinstall FC5 from the bottom
>> and up. THAT I've done before :-)
>>

> But, without knowing what the cause was, you might encounter it again.
> How many times do you want to re-install the whole OS?
>
> Removing CUPS will be a bit difficult, it's deemed to be a core
> component.  You could try manually removing the current configuration
> files, and then doing a rpm freshen to re-install CUPS over the top.
>
> But noticing that you're running FC5, you'd be hard pressed to get a
> result from making a bugzilla entry, unless someone can recognise the
> condition as being a user error (i.e. something that you can change,
> rather than requiring a change to CUPS).  FC5 is no longer supported.

Point taken, I do not want frequent reinstalls.
Here is the chain of events:
1) Blown fuse, powercut.
2) Reboot, but could not mount disk. Probably corrupted tables or
somethiong like that.
3) Using rescue CD - but I did not find a way out of the mess by means
of that, and I had no Internet connecion, so there was nobody to ask.
4) Reinstalling FC 5
5) Hoping to come up to speed with current software versions by running
$yum upgrade
which I was under the impression would take care of that.
This may have been a grave mistake
6) CUPS problems started after 5).

For this reason I wonder if I have any choice but reinstalling FC 5,
even if it is not supported any more.

What about FC 7?
I have what I think must be a hardware problem, since it has occured
under SuSe, Mandrake, Madriva and now FC 5:
Screen freeze. The PC blocks out keyboard and mouse, and anything that
moved on the screen freezes. I have no clue as to why, or what triggers
it, and nobody on this list or the Mandriva newbie list had either. So:
Hardware trouble.
Before reinstalling I used to ssh from my old backup PC and run killall
-9 Xorg, then I could log on again and everything was up and running.
But now when the freeze happens the network connection is also reset, so
I cannot get access to the PC from the backup PC.
Yet another reason why I may have to reinstall. I am contemplating
buying a new machine, hoping that I will say goodbye to this problem.
But earlier it was easy to get around it, I just run the whole machine
through the backup PC, using ssh connections. Thus I could focus on
productive programming instead of error corrections. But all that has
changed now, even if I use ssh -X localhost  I have trouble in starting
GUI applications.
So this is relatively "deep shit".

PAR