error when installing kernel and kernel-headers 2.6.22.4-65.fc7

Darlene Wallach freepalestin at dslextreme.com
Sat Aug 25 20:54:21 UTC 2007

David Boles wrote:
> on 8/25/2007 11:01 AM, Darlene Wallach wrote:
>> Todd Zullinger wrote:

>>> Odd.  I updated my system yesterday and it properly pulled in the
>>> newer kernel-headers package.  So I don't think it's a generic problem
>>> with the package or the repos.  But that doesn't help a lot in solving
>>> the issue you're having. ;)
>>>
>>> It could help to clean out your yum cache, but that's just a WAG.
>> Before I emailed regarding my problem, I did
>> yum clean all and even rebooted

>>> A quick way to work around this would be to remove kernel-headers,
>>> then yum update, and then yum install kernel-headers (if you need it,
>>> that is).
>>>

>> Todd,
>>
>> You are suggesting I do:
>> yum remove kernel-headers-2.6.22.1-41.fc7
>> yum install kernel-headers.i386
>> yum install kernel.i686
>>
>> I'm assuming I should install kernel stuff.
>

> I'm not Todd but:
>
> yum update
>
> will offer to update any packages that are available for Fedora 7
>
> -------------------
> yum update kernel
>
> will offer to install the new kernel (kernels are always installed, never
> updated) *and* to update the kernel-headers package. It will remove the
> kernel (yum keeps two kernels installed) that you are not currently using
> and it will remove the old kernel-header package. Yum will also write the
> new GRUB config. Removing the listing for the removed kernel, adding the
> listing for the new kernel, and making the new kernel the default kernel
> to boot. To use the new kernel now you will have to reboot.

At first the update demaen failed to install the
kernel-header with the same error message shown
above.

Then I manually tried yum install which failed with
the error message above.

Then I renamed the file, ran yum clean all and tried
yum install which failed again with the error above.

I think Todd's suggestion of removing the old
kernel-header might solve the conflict. Though
I don't know how the
/usr/include/linux/netfilter_ipv4/ipt_iprange.h
was being read from kernel-headers-2.6.22.1-41.fc7

btw, I disabled the install only 2 kernels option.

Darlene Wallach