error when installing kernel and kernel-headers 2.6.22.4-65.fc7

David Boles dgboles at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 21:38:49 UTC 2007

on 8/25/2007 1:54 PM, Darlene Wallach wrote:
> David Boles wrote:
>> on 8/25/2007 11:01 AM, Darlene Wallach wrote:

>>> Before I emailed regarding my problem, I did
>>> yum clean all and even rebooted

>>> Todd,
>>>
>>> You are suggesting I do:
>>> yum remove kernel-headers-2.6.22.1-41.fc7
>>> yum install kernel-headers.i386
>>> yum install kernel.i686
>>>
>>> I'm assuming I should install kernel stuff.
>>
>> I'm not Todd but:
>>
>> yum update
>>
>> will offer to update any packages that are available for Fedora 7
>>
>> -------------------
>> yum update kernel
>>
>> will offer to install the new kernel (kernels are always installed, never
>> updated) *and* to update the kernel-headers package. It will remove the
>> kernel (yum keeps two kernels installed) that you are not currently using
>> and it will remove the old kernel-header package. Yum will also write the
>> new GRUB config. Removing the listing for the removed kernel, adding the
>> listing for the new kernel, and making the new kernel the default kernel
>> to boot. To use the new kernel now you will have to reboot.
>>

> At first the update demaen failed to install the
> kernel-header with the same error message shown
> above.
>
> Then I manually tried yum install which failed with
> the error message above.
>
> Then I renamed the file, ran yum clean all and tried
> yum install which failed again with the error above.
>
> I think Todd's suggestion of removing the old
> kernel-header might solve the conflict. Though
> I don't know how the
> /usr/include/linux/netfilter_ipv4/ipt_iprange.h
> was being read from kernel-headers-2.6.22.1-41.fc7
>
> btw, I disabled the install only 2 kernels option.

My system is Rawhide, the development branch of Fedora. What I have
installed, and use daily, is scheduled for release as Fedora 8 on November
8, 2007 and then on to what will be Fedora 9.

What I described to you   yum update  I do everyday. It is not uncommon to
get 4 or 5 kernels a week every week and each new kernel gets a new
kernel-headers package. All done as I described to you.

The kernel-headers packages contain the C header files used to compile
source code. If you are not going to be doing that you do not need it.

Good luck.
--

  David