automount ext2/ext3 with HAL

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Aug 25 23:26:43 UTC 2007

Ian Malone wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a USB hard disc here.  It had NTFS on it, but
> that seemed to be causing complaints when I tried to
> move files over, so I reformatted it as ext3 (and
> changed the partition to type 83).  Now I've been
> able to copy the files over fine.
>
> However, whereas previously the NTFS partition got
> mounted upon connection, the ext3 partition must be
> manually mounted.  I could simply add it to fstab, but
> what magic would I do to cause the automount to
> work properly for an ext3 partition?

HAL is supposed to mount it for automatically, but sometimes has
trouble. (HAL rules are going through changes...) One thing that
sometimes helps is to give the partition a label. You can use
e2label to do this for you. (You also have an option to label it
when you create the file system.) The label will be used as the
mount point when the partition is mounted. (/media/<label>)

Mikkel