Simple but no joy swap

Vivek J. Patankar list307 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 20:01:58 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen wrote:
>>    I have no swap listed when I run top. This is not true but the swap
>> file at /dev/sda3 was around 250 bytes. I had just goofed but I had a
>> much larger swap on the other hard drive and it worked great.
>>
>>    Now just one hard drive and today I used fdisk and redid this hard
>> drive to have the same number of partitions but the /dev/sda3 is now 2
>> Gb. I used mkswap /dev/sda3 and it seemed to work but perhaps not
>> because top still says no swap... I will read man mkswap and see if
>> there is something else I need to do.
>>

>    I forgot swapon -a and when I did that there is a huge swap file in
> top. So that works now.

Isn't there another thread discussing this? And before you start another
thread ranting about how you have to do a swapon everytime you reboot,
is the swap partition declared in /etc/fstab like below?

    /dev/sda3         swap                    swap    defaults        0 0

--
Regards,
विवेक ज. पाटणकर (Vivek J. Patankar)

Registered Linux User #374218