sendmail sending slowdown

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Tue Aug 28 09:27:08 UTC 2007

> Suddenly (starting yesterday) my mailserver is very slow when I send mail
> through it.
>
> I cranked up ettercap on the server to watch what's going on, and it connects
> immediately when I send mail, but just sits there for between ten and thirty
> seconds before it finally accepts the mail for sending.

On the server, what is in /etc/resolv.conf?  What happens if you ssh
into the server and try to do, eg

dig <sending client ip>@<nameserver ip in server /etc/resolv.conf>

for example

dig 192.168.0.10 at 123.123.123.123

and how fast does it come back with a reply?

Are you using a realtime blackhole for lookup?  Maybe that is slow.

-Andy