System lockup problem with 7G of memory and PAE kernel - FC7

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Aug 29 16:43:31 UTC 2007

Re: System lockup problem with 7G of memory and PAE kernel - FC7

  On Wed, 2007-08-29 at 10:00 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
 > > Can you try with 6G of memory?  I've not known many MB's or BIOS to
 > > work well with odd numbers.   :-)

 > While I can see some value in trying a different amount, I'd be
 > surprised at "7 being an odd number," being the issue.  It's not going
 > to be exactly 7,000,000,000, it'll be a rounded figure.

It is most likely due to a mismatch of memory sticks. Most motherboards
seem to have particular requirements about filling the memory slots with
  memory. And you must have a 'balanced' setup with matched amounts in
the lower numbered slots.

DDR2 is even worse. I don't think you can do DDR2 with an odd number of
memory sticks. Which leads to the question of how did you get 7Gig of
RAM. I didn't think that 4Gig ram modules were available yet, which
imply you have 3 times 2G plus 1G in modules. And the MB does not like
the fact that you have 2G in slot 3 and 1G in slot 4.

Try with 6G (3x2) and 5 (2x2+1)...5G *may* work since there would be
nothing in slot 4 to cause a problem.

Geoff

Tux says:  Be regular. Eat Cron flakes.