Re-doing F7

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Aug 29 19:32:34 UTC 2007

alan wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Aug 2007, Tim wrote:
>
>> Anyway, this adds another complication:  Your update disc is out-of-date
>> rather rapidly.  I'd only take this approach if you were going to update
>> a collection of non-networked computers, that you only bothered to
>> update fairly infrequently.
>
> Or something on a very slow data connection.  I can just imagine how
> long it would take to get the complete set of F7 updates on dialup.
> Even if it was a bit stale, it makes for less to download.

I am not sure I follow this - why would downloading a CD image with
all the updates, including updates for packages you do not have
installed, be a smaller download then downloading the packages you
need? If you are going to be updating more then one machine, you can
set yum to keep the packages it downloads, and then create a local
repo for your local machines. (Or copy the RPMs to a shared
directory, and do a yum localupdate to update the other machines.

Mikkel