SELinux survey (was RE: Stupid F7 boot loop)

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Aug 30 06:11:10 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen:
>>>     Once about Fedora Core 4 I noticed Selinux was there and I turned
>>> it on. I began to have odd problems. Things stopped working. I
>>> discovered how to turn it off and all problems stopped.
>>>
>>>     Since then I always turn it off during installation. Right after I
>>> refuse to give Grub a password :-)

Tim:
>> This is really akin to:  Yesterday I found it very hard to unlock my
>> front door with the key, so now I never lock the door.

Ralf Corsepius:
> Well, I prefer comparing SELinux with having a control officer at each
> and every drawer/knob/switch inside of your house/apartment :)

I find it's only guarding the things that need it, not getting in the
way of everything.  Karls point was to just ditch *all* the security (I
think it was him that, also, does an auto-logon without a password).

I'm reminded of a comparison with another industry - workers who take
the safety guards off *all* the machinery.  They don't just lift them
further out of the way to get some oversized material into the bandsaw,
temporarily.  They remove them completely, and perhaps put them back
after someone gets a hand sawn off.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.1-41.fc7 i686 i386