Re: SELinux survey (was RE: Stupid F7 boot loop)

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
Andrew Kelly wrote:

At any rate, let's assume that SELinux is mature and ripe, that it
interferes with nothing and there are no more issues with updates and
whatnot. It's landed, and can be deployed without worry.
What exactly do I gain by doing it? What have I protected myself from?

If you understand what SELinux is, the gain is immediately obvious. Here is a recent article

http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/05/04/whats-new-in-selinux-for-red-hat-enterprise-linux-5/

This article doesn't explain whether it follows standards or will always be a single-supplier non-standard extension. If you are using SELinux, can you still transparently replace your local disks with network mounts where the systems hosting the disks are appliances or running some other OS? If you can't do that today, is the standard published to permit it eventually?

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com