Intel 82566DC-2 problem

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Aug 30 22:19:34 UTC 2007

Michael Semcheski wrote:
>> What is in /etc/modprobe.conf?
>
> The modprobe.conf on the computer in question hasn't been altered
> manually, and looks like modprobe.conf on other Fedora 7 computers I
> have.

The reason I asked is it seems to contain sound and Ethernet information
for my computer. Since no Ethernet, something might be missing from the
file.

Truthfully, I always use neat (System-config-network) to configure the
devices and do not manually add info to modprobe.conf - Most of the time
the program finds the device without error.

If I recall discussions from the experts regarding modprobe.conf, it is
for kernel modules which are contained in the initrd image. You can also
regenerate the modprobe.conf by deleting some file and getting hardware
detection to regenerate the modprobe.conf. I did not try this so I only
know this exists.

>> I have the below in mine for example. You would of course need
>> parameters specific to your machine.
Added from previous omission: (forgot to paste it in the message.

cat /etc/modprobe.conf
alias eth0 natsemi
alias scsi_hostadapter pata_ali
alias eth1 airo_cs
alias snd-card-0 snd-ali5451
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-ali5451 index=0

>> Bad answer on my part. More curious than knowledgeable with this type of
>> problem.
>
> At this point, everything is helpful.
>
> I have 5 workstations, all purchased within three months of each
> other.  All are the same model and the same specs were used to
> purchase them.  The 3 older ones have 82566DM as their network
> (according to lspci).  The 2 newest ones have 82566DC-2 according to
> lspci.  DM works great, DC-2 not at  all.  And I just can't figure out
> what to try next.
>
> Mike

 From a google search might be helpful.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-kernel-list/2007-August/msg00094.html

Regarding your module building efforts, I have no idea unless the source
from the Intel site is older than Fedora uses.

Jim

--
When you're dining out and you suspect something's wrong, you're
probably right.