Torrent Freeze

Per Anton Ronning pa-ronn at online.no
Fri Aug 31 08:01:11 UTC 2007

David Boles wrote:
> on 8/30/2007 4:15 PM, Per Anton Ronning wrote:
>
>> David Boles wrote:

>>> I am confused by what you wrote. As I understand it you downloads the iso
>>> with wget and now you are downloading the same iso with bittorent?
>>>
>>> If that is what you are doing I just have to ask why are you downloading
>>> the same iso twice?
>>>

>> That is not what I am doing.
>> First i did run wget
>> http://torrent.fedora.project.org/torrents/Fedora-7-i386.torrent
>> Then I am running
>> bittorrent-curses Fedora-7-i386.torrent
>> and now  F-7-i386-DVD.iso is created.  I have so far downloaded
>> 363,593,728  bytes of this file, but now the problem I describe is
>> putting a stop to further downloading.
>> When I start the *-curses  again, it begins with examining the *.iso
>> file, but at an early stage of this examination  the computer simply
>> shuts down, i.e. it freezes.
>> It seems that it calculates how far the download has come so far in
>> order to continue the download from that point on, i.e, it has a
>> built-in -c option. At least that is my interpretation of this.
>>
>> Is the confusion brought into order? :-)
>>

> Yes. Now.
>
> You used wget to download the torrent link and then began a torrent to
> download the iso. Every time you restart a bittorent it will check what
> has been downloaded to find two things. What parts have already been
> downloaded and if they are good parts. Bittorent downloads parts from many
> sources. File sharing. For bittorent to work well it has to be configured.
> You have to open a port, set downloads speed to unlimited and, depending
> on your Internet connection, cut down the upload speed. 10 is a good place
> to start. Also some ISPs throttle back bittorent because it is manly used
> to steal commercial program and movies.
>
> The link that I gave to you would directly download the iso from a very
> fast site at The university of Southern California without using the
> bittorent application at all. I do not know what your Internet connection
> speed is but with mine, 800 - 1000 mbps, it would take about 40 minutes,
> maybe less, to download the DVD iso of Fedora 7.
>
> Good luck. You will like Fedora 7. And just think. Fedora 8 is scheduled
> for early November.  :-)

Thanks a lot.  It started downloading  with no freeze so far, and -c
made it append to the incomplete *.iso file already downloaded.
At this time it predicts 13h 44m to download. I can absolutely live with
that.
If I experience another freeze, I just restart the whole thing with the
-c option.
I would be surprised if it does not freeze at some time.

This freeze problem seems to be quite a rare thing, I have not seen many
others having the same problem, ant it is a very elusive problem.
Is it software related?
Is it hardware/software related?
Why has the effect changed? Earlier I could enter the PC via an ssh back
door (from my backup machine) and shut down Xorg. That did the trick.
But now the freeze condition has become more serious, now it shuts down
the ethernet card as well so that the backup PC no longer is connected.
I will study the thread about ssh here first, but I also have
experienced that the backup machine no longer can run X via ssh to the
main PC.
ssh -X 10.0.0.6 goes fine, but starting kwrite, gftp or any other
GUI-based program fails.
Before the present calamities started, I actually run the main PC via
the backup PC, a happy symbiosis which gave me time to focus on
productive programming.

Brgds
PAR