DD not working--SUCCESS!

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Fri Aug 31 18:32:19 UTC 2007

Ian Malone wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>> Jacques B. wrote:
>
>>>  Because the clone would be of a
>>> running system.  So booting from it would be comparable to booting
>>> from a system that crashed (I'm making an educated guess at that one).
>>>
>>    Not a good guess. To use DD you need a computer with dd and a fast
>> cpu. I did top while dd was working and it was taking 70% of the
>> cpu's time :-P
>>

> It's one of the oldest Unix programs: it will copy as fast as your
> system can go.  Yes, a fast system will copy faster.
>
> (BTW, it is a good guess.  You are copying straight off the device,
> bypassing the filesystem.

    Please explain. I am taking bytes off and putting them on file
systems. Both Hard Drives need to be running.

> The primary problem I think is the
> possibility of missing cached writes.  Things like log files will
> also be in an odd state, but that is unlikely to ever be critical.
> However backups, and what you are doing is essentially the same
> thing, are best done on unmounted systems.)
    I can say that my success was with me sending and receiving emails
and additions to the web browser while dd on this computer was doing
it's thing. No problems.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User