Webcams again

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Feb 1 15:53:39 UTC 2007

On Thursday 01 February 2007 15:13, Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:
> > In any case the real answer will be given by upstream :)
> >
> >> Thanks - at least I know a bit more about where we stand :-)
>
> Hi,
>
> you can also try gideo (from ATrpms),
> and see what it is possible to control in the camera.
>
> I have a cheap Creative something and the brightness and contrast
> can be controlled, but the color slider seems to make no difference.

That confirms what I found in ekiga.  The colour is a great deal better than I
can get in amsn, which points to the application rather than the driver, I
think.

> There are also some color models available to try.
> I downloaded this program from mxHaard's site.
>
> There are also other programs, such as spcaview (no control) and spcagui,
> which the interface only appeared for me in FC4.

spcagui only gave me the video window (in FC6) and I had to kill it to stop
it.  Clearly there is a problem with that one.

> But at least you can test your camera with the author's recommended tools.

I'm now convinced that it's the software, not the driver.  After seeing what
ekiga could do, I expected to find that.  However, like you, I couldn't
adjust the colour at all.  No big deal, though, as it was acceptable.

Thanks

Anne