Ubuntu founder doesn't "get" enterprise Linux

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Thu Feb 1 23:14:47 UTC 2007

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007, Craig White wrote:

>>> All the SRPMS are on the web site for free download by anyone. The
>>> binaries contain things like the Red Hat trademarks and logos that are
>>> associated with the Red Hat Enterprise Linux and the whole service and
>>> support deal, so you'd have to rebuild them anyway.
>>>
>>> The update service is exactly that a *service*.
>>
>> That doesn't really answer the question of why redistribution of
>> unmodified products and updates should be prohibited.  Or why calling
>> such a restriction 'closed' is off the mark.
> ----
> I don't recall anything/anyone saying that redistribution is prohibited
> with the exception of the trademarks/logos which are part of the RHEL
> packaging.

If you subscribe to the service, you get some level of support and access
to the binary distributions (media and/or ISOs and individual RPMs) and
the update service (and other system management services, depending on
what you pay).  In return, you agree not to install or run ("all or part
of") the binary distributions on unsubscribed systems you own.

A case could be made that you can't redistribute the ISOs because they
contain trademarks/logos.  In that case, the only legal way to get ISOs is
from Red Hat.  Individual SRPMs are publicly available, so you could get
those and redistribute them or compile and package them and redistribute
that.  That's what CentOS et al. do.

The actual license is here: