Remote VNC install

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Fri Feb 2 03:14:38 UTC 2007

Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
>    I have a remote server that needs to be upgraded to FC6 (read: fresh
> install)  At the moment it's up and running with FC1.  This machine is
> also on the (local) network where I have all the iso's needed to
> install.  Now, normally, when I am at that location, I will grab the
> vmlinuz and initrd files off of the first ISO, put them on the machine
> to be upgraded, add the necessary lines to grub and reboot the thing.
> Once it reboots and goes into the installer, I tell it to do an NFS
> install and off I go.
>
>    However, that approach won't work right now because I'm not
> physically there nor is there anyone else who can do the initial stuff
> for me.  Now, since FC6 can run a vnc server during installation, I can
> then remote install the system, right?  So my question is, what
> parameters do I feed grub to tell it a) launch 'linux vnc' instead of
> just linux, and b) have the ip address fed to it directly (with all
> other parameters the installer asks for, language, keyboard settings,
> network settings and the NFS server information).  Remember, I'm not
> there to type anything on the keyboard and I know the installer is going
> to ask me for the IP information before it launches vnc.

I haven't played with the vnc install much yet, but I've been saving
this article from Red Hat magazine in my browser to remind me that I
need to do so.  Perhaps it will help answer some of your questions?

http://www.redhat.com/magazine/024oct06/features/kickstart/?sc_cid=bcm_edmsept_007

Some god must protect drunkards and fools, there are so many of them
still around.