Dell's w/o OS - where?

David L idht4n at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 2 18:52:26 UTC 2007

>From: "Jeffrey Ross" <jeff at bubble.org>
>To: "For users of Fedora" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>Subject: Re: Dell's w/o OS - where?
>Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 13:39:27 -0500 (EST)
>
> > Someone posted here recently about Dell now making machines
> > available for sale w/o an OS - I can't seem to find that post,
> > nor any such machines on the Dell website. Probably a case of
> > staring me in the face, but does anyone have a link handy?
> > --
> > Claude Jones
> > Brunswick, Md, USA
> >
> > --
> >

>Go from the menu bar on Dell's website and choose "Desktops" and then
>choose "open-source Desktops"  Dell only offers their so called "Advanced"
>desktops without an operating system.

I customized one the other day and noticed that a monitor was
included in the "starting at" price but that you could select no monitor.
I was surprised, because often "starting at" doesn't include an
optional monitor.  So although they are "Advanced" desktop systems,
if you don't need a monitor, you can get one for considerably less than
the listed base prices.

I'd be interested in hearing how Fedora works on one of these.  I didn't
go through with the order because I just bought a new computer a few
months ago.  But it'd be great if these things play well with Linux... it's
a step on the road to being able to buy a Linux machine at the corner
computer store I hope.

David