Xorg Uses at least 18% of the cpu

I have top running in a terminal window and there are two processes
running, Xorg and top. Xorg is using 18% of the cpu. If I open another
window the percent goes into the 30s and 40s. I don't think this is
normal.

Going to System->Administration->Display I see that I have the correct
hardware installed, nVidia 41.9. The Dell system profile reports that I
have a NV42 card.

The refresh rate in a terminal window annoyingly slow.

HELP!