tetex FC6

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sat Feb 3 23:58:49 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-02-03 at 16:15 +0100, François Patte wrote:
> Bonjour,
>
> as a TeX user I very puzzled using TeX/LaTeX under FC6:
>
> 1- man is not up to date: it refers to initex (and some other init
> scripts for TeX which no longer exist...)

teTeX is no longer being maintained. It is quite old now.
Updating it to a modern TeX system is recommended.

They (Fedora) are looking into a way to package TeXLive for Fedora, but
until they have one, I would suggest using TeXLive.

TeXLive 2005 is newer than teTeX as far as macros go, but TeXLive 2007
will be released very soon (I believe they are targeting the 10th but
not positive).

My installation notes for a test release are here:
http://mpeters.us/tplinux/thinkpad.html#texlive

Since TeXLive is very self contained in how it installs, it will be
trivial to just remove it and replace it with whatever Fedora replaces
teTeX with when they do, if you choose to do so.