greylisting with procmail

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Feb 6 13:36:07 UTC 2007

Martin Marques wrote:

>> None.  The greylist milter has a cache.  The very first time a system
>> contacts mine there will be a 5 minute delay.  After that....0.
>
> Almost! ;-)

OK, close enough to 0 to be meaningless.  And if we really want to be
accurate, my system will continue to respond with temporary error for 5
minutes.  So, if the sending system retries every minute it will get 5
temporary errors.  The default setting for most MTA retries is 15 minutes.
So, really, it can be a maximum of 15 minute delay on the first message from
a given server.  But, after that negligible.

> When a mail comes in, it checks the triplet client_ip/sender/recipient
> to see if a mail has been sent before with that triplet. If it has, the
> mail passes OK. If not, mail is bounced with a termporary error (this
> tells the clients mail server to try again in 5 minutes), and the
> triplet it temporarly saved. In five minutes the same mail gets sent
> again and the server accepts it. :-)
>
>> Nope, not have any problems your seeing.  Must be a Souther Hemisphere
>> thingy.
>
> Naahhh. :-D

OK, how about the Western Pacific Southern Hemisphere?

--
I kissed my first girl and smoked my first cigarette on the same day.
I haven't had time for tobacco since.