Upgrade Red Hat Linux 6

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Tue Feb 6 14:12:34 UTC 2007

Federico Fanton wrote:
> On 05/02/2007 21:43, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
>> hopefully you meant install rather than upgade.  there's no way that
>> upgrading from RH6 to FC6 would turn out well.
>
> I don't know if it would work for RH6, but I successfully upgraded a
> machine from RH8 to FC4 via yum, one version at a time (RH8->RH9->FC1...)
> Maybe it's not the wisest of things to do of course X-) (and you have to
> consider a few gotchas)

Doing it incrementally, one release at a time is one thing. This should
always work OK, modulo a few gotchas as you say. Usual going from FC(X)
to FC(X+1) is reasonably well tested each release, if not fully recommended

Jumping straight from RH6 to FC6 is a completely different beast. I
would be very surprised if it works at all.

Chris