GM & MS

Joe Smith jes at martnet.com
Tue Feb 6 20:38:23 UTC 2007

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:

> The Linux car would come with a radio plainly visible on the dash but
> it wouldn't work.  The car manufacturer would claim that this was due
> to "FCC rules".

The factory radio in my Honda was limited by the manufacturer to only
operate with two small portions of the radio frequency spectrum. Honda
claims it is because of "FCC rules".

The factory radio also won't let me pirate Sirius or XM stations for
some bizarre reason.

I'm sure you're not poking fun at Linux because the maintainers are
unwilling to break the law, are you?

No, the Linux radio would receive any frequency from 10 Hz to 10 MHz but
would require you to climb into the trunk with a screwdriver and an
oscilloscope to change the station or the volume. ;-)

<Joe