Thunderbird won't launch a URL in a message

I'm not sure when this started happening but Thunderbird now gives me an error when I click a link in a message:

Error showing URL: There was an error launching the default action command associated with this location.

How do I set the "Default action" for a URL? I don't see anything related to a default action in the preferences.

Thanks

Doug P