Talking to Logitech on the phone regarding webcam support for linux

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 20:13:57 UTC 2007

On 07/02/07, Todd Zullinger <tmz at pobox.com> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > Just thought that you guys might like to know that I just spent 23
> > minutes on the phone with Logitech telling them that they need to
> > supply Linux drivers. They were rather nice, but they said that they
> > have no intention of ever suppling linux drivers as there is no
> > demand. They do have Vista drivers, though, even though I am certain
> > that for every Vista user today there are 1000 Linux users or more.
> >
> > Logitech's contact info is on this page:
> > http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/utilities/contact/IL/EN
> >
> > And to save you the trip, this is their US phone number:
> > 702-269-3457
> >
> > Give them a call and express interest. It is the only way that we will
> > see companies back their products with linux support.
>
> It might also be worth mentionging this to them (which Craig posted a
> few days back):
>
> http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/free_drivers.html
>
> "Free Linux Driver Development!
>
> Yes, that's right, the Linux kernel community is offering all
> companies free Linux driver development. No longer do you have to
> suffer through all of the different examples in the Linux Device
> Driver Kit, or pick through the thousands of example drivers in the
> Linux kernel source tree trying to determine which one is the closest
> to what you need to do.
>
> All that is needed is some kind of specification that describes how
> your device works, or the email address of an engineer that is willing
> to answer questions every once in a while. A few sample devices might
> be good to have so that debugging doesn't have to be done by email,
> but if necessary, that can be done.
>
> In return, you will receive a complete and working Linux driver that
> is added to the main Linux kernel source tree. The driver will be
> written by some of the members of the Linux kernel developer community
> (over 1500 strong and growing). This driver will then be automatically
> included in all Linux distributions, including the "enterprise" ones.
> It will be automatically kept up to date and working through all Linux
> kernel API changes. This driver will work with all of the different
> CPU types supported by Linux, the largest number of CPU types
> supported by any operating system ever before in the history of
> computing.
>
> As for support, the driver will be supported through email by the
> original developers, when they can help out, and by the "enterprise"
> Linux distributors as part of their service agreements with their
> customers.
>
> If your company is worried about NDA issues surrounding your device's
> specifications, we have arranged a program with OSDL/TLF's Tech Board
> to provide the legal framework where a company can interact with a
> member of the kernel community in order to properly assure that all
> needed NDA requirements are fulfilled.
>
> Now your developers will have more time to work on drivers for all of
> [...]

I missed that post. But I will be a jerk and contact ALL the hardware
manufacturers that I can think of today to forward that to them. If 10
people a day let them know that we are willing to put our pocketbooks
where their drivers are, and that they can have the linux community
develop the drivers for them, then I am certain that they would
comply.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com/what_is/open_source.html
http://fedoranewbie.com