SD card reader (Winbond)

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Feb 8 03:29:02 UTC 2007

David G. Miller writes:

> Fernando Apesteguía wrote:
>> Hello people!
>>
>> I'm using FC 6 with 2.6.19-1.2895.fc6 kernel. I'm trying to use my
>> card reader. First of all, some information:
>>

>> <-------------------[ SNIP ]------------------------>
>

>> But when I insert the card, nothing happens (accordint to dmesg). I
>> read once that maybe some setpci stuff is needed but I don't know
>> exactly what to do... man setpci is not very helpful.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
> Is this a built in SD card reader on a laptop or some kind of external
> reader with say a USB interface?  I very recently researched getting the
> SD card reader on my laptop to read SD cards under Linux (of any flavor)
> and found out that the interface specification for SD is "encumbered"
> (patents, copyright) in such a way that it is doubtful that an open
> source Linux driver can be legally provided.  Things may have changed or
> I could have missed something but that's what I found.  A USB device
> should hide such details from Linux and just present a mass storage
> interface.

My laptop has what appears to be a built-in memory card reader.  I don't
have any memory cards to read, but it looks to be a CompactFlash reader.

On the Gnome desktop, opening "Computer" shows me an icon for my CD-ROM
drive, a "Network" icon, a "Filesystem" icon, and an icon labeled "Memory
Stick Drive".  Sifting through my dmesg, I see this:

scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access     Generic  USB Storage-MSC  320A PQ: 0 ANSI: 0 CCS
sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sda

Since, as I said, I don't have memory cards, so I never used this.  But, it
does look to me like there are some memory card reader types that should
work under Linux, just fine.

This is a no-name brand four-year old laptop from LA Computers.