Talking to Logitech on the phone regarding webcam support for linux

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 17:35:59 UTC 2007

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:

>> Not necessarily.  Some of TI's wireless network stuff, for example, can
>> easily be convinced to broadcast at higher-than-normal power levels and
>> at completely bogus frequencies.
>>
>> If they open up the driver, the source will be published and anyone with
>> a tiny bit of know-how can wreak havoc with local wireless networks.
>> Now, you could argue that TI should redesign the chipset (they have)
>> but what about all the chipsets that are already out there?  Knowing how
>> lawyers are, TI would get hit with lawsuit after lawsuit.  That being
>> the case, can you blame them for keeping the source closed?  I don't.
>
> So who's the boss on your computer? You or some hardware/software
> provider?

A better question for most of us might be "who knows more about how to
make it work best, you or the experts that designed it?  And as far as
changing it, wouldn't it be best to keep expenses down to let hardware
providers make changes as frequently as technology permits, supplying
drivers to match instead of waiting for an OS provider that might be
dealing with thousands of other devices to catch up?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com