Webcam driver

Paulo Cavalcanti promac at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 17:42:25 UTC 2007

On 2/8/07, Keith Powell <keith at keithg4jvx.force9.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm investigating my aMSN video problems.
>
> At the moment, I have the MXhaard driver installed which I downloaded and
> installed as a tarball.
>
> I would like to uninstall it and try the atrpms version, to see if that
> improves things.
>
> Please, how do I uninstall it, as I did a "modprobe gspca"?

Modprobe just loads the driver to memory. It does not install anything. The
installation script should have copied the module to /lib/modules/....

Nonetheless, there should be no difference in performance using the tar ball
or ATrpms'.
ATrpms uses the same tar ball. The only difference is that ATrpms drivers
always stay in a subdirectory called "updates":

[lua:~] modinfo gspca
filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2257.fc5smp
/updates/drivers/usb/media/gspca.ko

This way, an original kernel module will NEVER be replaced.
Also, when the kernel is upgraded there should be an appropriate kernel
version in a few days.
Sometimes, this may require some patches, for adapting the driver to the new
kernel API. Therefore, using a rpm relieves the end user from any headache
during the compilation process.

So, is up to you when to use a pre-compiled rpm or a tar ball.

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ