Talking to Logitech on the phone regarding webcam support for linux

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Feb 8 22:32:24 UTC 2007

On Thursday 08 February 2007 15:15, Les Mikesell wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> There are lots of us who bought what was supposed to be supported
>> webcams, only to find the support was rather horribly broken and that
>> we wasted $70 USD or more.
>
>If you want to run an OS without a stable driver interface, you can
>always pay extra for a network camera like these:
>http://www.axis.com/products/video/camera/
>
>> I submit that their attitude vis-a-vis linux support IS sufficiently
>> well known that sales of that sort of product to knowledgeable linux
>> users is essentially zip.  But they need to ask themselves which came
>> first, their refusal to support linux, or the non-existant sales to
>> the millions of linux users out there?
>
>Yes, if you want painless support, Linux probably wouldn't be your first
>choice.  Most current Macs have cameras built in and include the
> software.
>
>> As a group, I'd like to think we are the gearheads, but then I know of
>> some winderz folks who have to have the absolute latest toys too,
>> so...
>
>I don't think you'll find a lot of new hardware where the Linux support
>comes first.  I might have seen one exception to that - ever - and I'm
>not sure if that device is still around.
>
>--
>   Les Mikesell
>    lesmikesell at gmail.com

You are missing the point Les.  Whyintuncket should we have to spend what,
$500 to $1500 a copy for something like that just because we're running
linux?  Granted, it would give a many times better result than the $30
webcam clipped to the top of your lappies screen, no argument there. But
if that $30 USD camera gives an acceptable picture to a winderz box, then
whyintuncket can't it do the same on a linux box?  The data coming up the
ever present usb cable doesn't magically smear itself in mustard just
because the receiver in running linux.  Michael, I think does the best he
can with the info he can get, but its not good enough.  And no one else
seems to have $0.50 to call someone who cares, so we're stuck.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)