Talking to Logitech on the phone regarding webcam support for linux

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 01:01:35 UTC 2007

On 08/02/07, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> > There are lots of us who bought what was supposed to be supported webcams,
> > only to find the support was rather horribly broken and that we wasted
> > $70 USD or more.
>
> If you want to run an OS without a stable driver interface, you can
> always pay extra for a network camera like these:
> http://www.axis.com/products/video/camera/

That is nice. If they weren't $200 a pop (on ebay, for the cheapest
model) I'd order one right now.

> > I submit that their attitude vis-a-vis linux support IS sufficiently well
> > known that sales of that sort of product to knowledgeable linux users is
> > essentially zip.  But they need to ask themselves which came first, their
> > refusal to support linux, or the non-existant sales to the millions of
> > linux users out there?
>
> Yes, if you want painless support, Linux probably wouldn't be your first
> choice.  Most current Macs have cameras built in and include the software.

I don't want painless support. I want support. I didn't crawl through
Lebanon for 40 days this summer to cry that I want my life painless.
I'm willing to work for benefit, but I expect that the oppourtunity
for benefit would be present.

> > As a group, I'd like to think we are the gearheads, but then I know of
> > some winderz folks who have to have the absolute latest toys too, so...
>
> I don't think you'll find a lot of new hardware where the Linux support
> comes first.  I might have seen one exception to that - ever - and I'm
> not sure if that device is still around.

I don't care that linux support be first, or come at the expense of
windows support. I want linux support- period. After, before, or up
the ass of windows support is fine by me.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com/what_is/xss.html
http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/426/rem.html