How to prune out old rpm files from fedora repository?

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Fri Feb 9 19:34:27 UTC 2007

Paul Johnson wrote:
> I run a server that has updates of RPMs I build for our lab.  The
> packages directory is getting too big and fat with 10 or 15 versions
> of some RPMS.  I wonder if somebody has a script that can clean out
> the older versions?  Something that cooperates with the createRepo
> script?

I've used the repomanage tool to do this.  Something like this for one
of my local repositories:

    repomanage --old $repo | while read package; do
        dir=$(dirname "$package")
        archive="$topdir/archive/$(basename $repo)"
        [ ! -d $archive ] && mkdir -p $archive
        mv "$package" $archive
    done

You might also find some useful snippets in the scripts used to push
Fedora Extras packages (particularly RepoPrune.py):

http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/viewcvs/extras-buildsys/utils/pushscript/?root=fedora

Drugs may lead to nowhere, but at least it's the scenic route.