Playing audio CDs no longer works. (FIXED)

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 20:36:01 UTC 2007

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-02-09 at 15:57 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
>> On Friday 09 February 2007 15:42, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>>> you are right xmms can play the cd's but only if you pretend they are
>>> mounted or actually mount them which is noot normally what happens to
>>> audio CD when you place them in a CD drive.
>>>
>> XMMS is what I normally use to play my CDs, and I don't mount them. In fact, I
>> don't think you *can* mount an audio CD.
>>
>> What exactly do you do, when you say you mount them?
> I misspoke you don't mount audio CDs but in xmms you need to specify the device and
> the mount point of the CD. So that is a little hokey in my opinion. But it does play CDs.

AFAICT that interface is meant to provide a filesystem-like
way of adding tracks, as if (from XMMS's point of view) they
were mounted.  Seems quite logical since you can put it
alongside music on the hard-disc rather than needing to do
something different to add tracks.  As it can display track
names rather than "track 1" "track 2" etc.

> So does grip on my machine if I execute:
> grip --device=/dev/hdc
> but not: grip %d
> in the GUI slot.

Surely that should be "grip --device=%d"

--
imalone