cpuspeed throttling

Hi All,
I was wondering if there is a way to make the cpuspeed CPU throttling
program permanently throttle to an elected CPU speed.

For example, I have a 3Ghz CPU in my laptop which is extremely prone to
over-heating and freezing. But while the laptop is running at 1.6Ghz it is
fine.

The problem I am facing is keeping the CPU at this lower speed when
services kick into gear (i.e. yum update, makewhatis, etc. etc.).

I was wondering if anyone might have an idea as to how this permanent
throttling can be done.

Thanks for your help.

All the best.

Cheers,