cpuspeed throttling

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Sat Feb 10 01:37:12 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-02-10 at 12:01 +1100, Tony Crouch wrote:
> Hi All,
> I was wondering if there is a way to make the cpuspeed CPU throttling
> program permanently throttle to an elected CPU speed.
>
> For example, I have a 3Ghz CPU in my laptop which is extremely prone to
> over-heating and freezing. But while the laptop is running at 1.6Ghz it is
> fine.
>
> The problem I am facing is keeping the CPU at this lower speed when
> services kick into gear (i.e. yum update, makewhatis, etc. etc.).
>
> I was wondering if anyone might have an idea as to how this permanent
> throttling can be done.

Several ways.  The most correct way is to first:

# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies

The values displayed are in KHz (kilohertz).  Find your appropriate
maximum frequency (my laptop shows 2000000, 1800000, and 1000000
corresponding to 2GHz, 1.8GHz and 1GHz).  Next, edit  your
"/etc/cpuspeed.conf" file and insert that value into the "MAXSPEED="
entry.  On reboot, you'll limit your speed.

To do it manually now, do "cpuspeed -M 1600000" as the root user.

-          When all else fails, try reading the instructions.        -