DNS or network problem

Guillermo Garron guillermo.fedora at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 05:18:11 UTC 2007

On 2/10/07, Bruce Hyatt <bjhyatt at myway.com> wrote:

> I have a new fedora installation and I can't get it to connect to my network; not to other computers on my network nor to the internet.
>
> It is connected through a hub to a router using a static IP address. I have another linux box connected without any problems through the same hub, it's not a problem with the NIC and it's not a problem with the cable.
>
> Yes, I have enabled ip forwarding in /etc/sysctl.conf
>
> I've compared all the network settings on the two computers and they're the same except for one thing; the one that is working has IPTables running. The one that won't work doesn't even have the tables.
>
> Could it be that not having IPTables configured and running is the problem?!!!
I think -no way-

but help you better could you please describe your network better?

what is the IP/mask/def_gateway of the two PCs the working and not working?

The IP of the router they are using to get the Internet?

Also you can try this.

use this command on the working and not working PC

tcpdump -i any -s 1500 -w capture.cap

--- first turn off the firewall on the working PC --- then analyse
these files with Ethereal software, or if you want put the files where
we I can download them and I will try to help you.

If you do not have tcpdump use

$yum install tcpdump

regards,

--
Guillermo Garron
"Linux IS user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are."