BIND not resolving some addresses

Eric Wood eric at interplas.com
Mon Feb 12 21:54:32 UTC 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim" <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au>
> Recently I've tried to follow a few links in e-mails and news, to find
> the browser couldn't do so.  At first I thought it was just the server
> being temporarily unavailable, but realised it's BIND.  And it's all the
> BINDs that I have (the latest available using yum on FC4, FC5 & FC6).
>
> For example, doing a dig on eweek.com it takes ages and eventually
> fails.  Conversely, doing a dig using my routers resolver, returns
> results almost instantly.  I don't use it, however, for two reasons:  I
> use internal DNS servers for the LAN, and my ISP's servers aren't always
> very good (don't ask me why, I'm not the one that manages them).

Has anyone seen a fix for this?  Even though my dns server can resolve
eweek.com, It can't resolve "e.staples-deals.com".

Ever since I ran bind on redhat 7.3, it has never resolved that domain name
for me:

# dig e.staples-deals.com @mydnsserver
results in a status: SERVFAIL

# dig e.staples-deals.com @myrouter
results are good!!

These are indeed weird results.  I'm currently running FC6 and I have the
same exact problem as when I had it with RH 7.3.

Any ideas on how to track this down?

-Eric Wood