FC6 - Incorrect Memory size

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Feb 13 02:33:59 UTC 2007

CC Chaman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> First post, so please forgive if this is in the wrong board.
>
> I've installed Zod on a Dell 2950 with 8 GB Ram. The 2.6.18 kernel only
> reports 4GB, so I decided to do an "yum upgrade" ... excpet now with the
> 2.6.19 kernel I only have 3.2 GB
>
> Here's the top output:
> Mem:   3368804k total,   743888k used,  2624916k free,    43428k buffers
> Swap:  2031608k total,        0k used,  2031608k free,   429312k cached
>

> Here's the fun part...when I boot with Xen - Ram is reported correctly?
>
> Any help would be appreciated!
>
> ( I did try setting kernel parameter mem=8192M ... does not work)
>
> Thankx
>
> CC-

You probably need to be running the PAE version of the kernel since you
have memory in excess of 4 GB. The link is below. The normal kernel only
does 4 GB maximum.

http://linuxmirror.museum.state.il.us/Fedora/core/6/updates/i386/repodata/repoview/kernel-PAE-0-2.6.18-1.2869.fc6.html

Jim

--
Nothing is as simple as it seems at first
	Or as hopeless as it seems in the middle