need to switch computers without losing data

My daughter has a PIII with FC5 on it. Troubleshooting flowchart indicates power supply died. We're going to the UMN recycle store, and get a PIII or newer. Can someone point me to the steps needed to take the hard drive out of the dead computer, and put it in the new computer, and not lose the data? I'm thinking there might be issues with just switching hard drive to another computer with different hardware configuration.
Any help appreciated,
Tom