(fedora) Re: NTP problem

Chris Rouch chris.rouch at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 13:16:50 UTC 2007

On 2/14/07, Jacob (=Jouk) Jansen <joukj at hrem.nano.tudelft.nl> wrote:
> Chris wrote at 12-FEB-2007 18:12:06.46
> On 2/12/07, Jacob (=Jouk) Jansen <joukj at hrem.nano.tudelft.nl> wrote:
> >> I have a problem with NTP on a FC6 machine connected to a adsl connection.
> >> When starting up the machine it tells me it fails to synch with the server
> >> (it started doing this one or two months ago) after that is sais that ntpd
> >> is started succesfully. I doubt this because I start noticing slight (1/2
> >> minute) time differences with other machines.
> >> First I thought it was a firewall problem, but this weekend I connetcted on
> >> the same network connection another FC6 machine, with the same
> >> Firewall/Selinux and NTP settings. This machine did not give the error.
> >> The only difference between the machines is the actual hardware and on
> >> machine 1 more FC6 packages are installed.
> >>
> >> Where do/can I look to solve this problem?
> >>

> >First try "service ntp restart" from a running system. If that fails,
> No problem doing thsi on the running system
>
> >chances are you have a faulty step tickers file. If it works, make
> >sure that DNS is available when ntp is started at boot time or that
> >/etc/ntp/step.tickers uses ip addresses instead of hostnames.
> Changing to ip numbers in the /etc/ntp/step.tickers to make the match
> exactly to the machine that works did not have any effect. Still I get the
> error at boot-time. I'm sure the network is acctivated before starting ntp.
>

> Any other ideas?

Disable ntp from automatically starting on boot, and then put the
following in /etc/rc.local

/usr/sbin/ntpdate `cat /etc/ntp/step-tickers` > /var/log/ntp 2>&1

NB this will fail if ntp is already running. The log file should tell
you what happens. If it works, then one of the services started after
ntp is needed by ntp. If it doesn't then there's probably something
wrong with your step-tickers.

Regards,

Chris