Bonehead Move, LVM

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Fri Feb 16 11:53:17 UTC 2007

Hi

> In the unlikely event I found myself with a system so trashed by a
> proposed later FC(n), I would simply nuke the dirs containing the bad OS
> and reinstall FC(n-1) doing a non-upgrade install.

At which point you *won't* have an FC(n-1) system the same as your
previous one, since you will have lost all the various updates and
system changes you had made :)

>> I don't presently use LVM, mainly because it was not around when I
>> first started using this system (FC1 or so). However, now I probably
>> would as it would allow me to resize the partitions easily (for
>> instance if I found 10G was not enough for /) something I cannot do at
>> the moment with the standard partitions.
>
> Yes, again this is only because you are using multiple Linux partitions
> though, which while you are welcome to it as a strategy and lifestyle
> choice, is a curious reason for LVM having such value as to be the
> global default, when for boxes that can only ever have one drive it is
> simpler to have one partition and no LVM and zero problems caused by
> artificial discontiguities in your storage.

I guess we just disagree. To me is plain obvious that multiple
partitions and LVM are good things, and I am glad it is by default what
is used by the installer. I guess you disagree and that fine, good even,
since if we all agreed on everything life would be much duller :)

Chris