Re: Bonehead Move, noexec

Andy Green wrote:
> bash: ./ls: Permission denied
> $ /lib/ld-linux.so.2 ./ls

Try that on a rawhide system.  There was a kernel bad which Linus
finally fixed in the 2.6.19 (or .20?) kernels.

Partitions are terribly useful.  There several useful mount flags:

  noatime, noexec, nodev, nosuid

By using several partitions (I always have /, /boot, /tmp, /home, /var,
/var/tmp, /usr) I have fine grained control over setting these flags
without affecting existing programs.

This is in addition to have partitions like / and /boot on RAID1
partitions while not being burdened to do this for all the system.

If anything, people should use more partitions, not less.