Bonehead Move, noexec

Scott van Looy scott at ethosuk.org.uk
Fri Feb 16 16:35:58 UTC 2007

Today Andy Green did spake thusly:

> Ulrich Drepper wrote:
>
> Hi Ulrich -
>
>> Try that on a rawhide system.  There was a kernel bad which Linus
>> finally fixed in the 2.6.19 (or .20?) kernels.
>
> It isn't "fixed" on the current FC6 2.6.19 kernel FWIW.
>
>> Partitions are terribly useful.  There several useful mount flags:
>>
>>   noatime, noexec, nodev, nosuid
>> If anything, people should use more partitions, not less.
>
> Why should fracturing your storage like a broken mirror have anything to do
> with application of what are basically ACLs.  Why is smashing the mirror into
> more smaller pieces any kind of good idea.  Partitions in the sense of
> reserving chunks of storage can only mean that you mismanage your storage in
> one section or another and run short.  The only situation that is optimal is
> everything sharing a single allocation.  It seems to me it is another "bad"
> that in order to get the granular ACL benefits you mention, for some reason
> you currently have to use a stupid static reservation scheme.

If you have a runaway process that randomly creates a massive log on /var
it won't hose the system.

Same for /tmp

If you decide to add another drive it's very easy.

If you wish to only allocate x amount of space to /home and be warned when
you're running out of space it's also trivial.

It's easy to add another drive and move the partition.

It's far easier to do a clean install and keep all your data in your /home
partition (for upgrades or if you're rooted)

In my case, I triple boot XP, Vista and FC6, I have a seperate partition
for data that's writeable by all three OSen

Mostly, in my server, I have one partition per drive, as I'd not trust
something like lvm not to eat all my data by mistake after an update...

--
Scott van Looy - email:me at ethosuk.org.uk | web:www.ethosuk.org.uk
site:www.freakcity.net - the in place for outcasts since 2003