Re: Is my hard drive thrashed?

Dan Hensley wrote:

[...] I ordered a new hard drive that should arrive tomorrow in case it's a
hardware problem.  My motherboard or BIOS may also have something to do
with it, but I'm not sure.  Right now my system is up and running
because I built a boot floppy.  But I see another kernel update waiting
to be installed.  I hesitate to download it because I don't know what
kind of mess it will make with my system.

Say,

 man yum

and have a look at the exclude option -- if you're happy with a kernel you can stop yum updating it until, say, a security issue makes updating the kernel a good idea.

Best wishes,

Ian