Changing resolution on laptop

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Sat Feb 17 15:36:12 UTC 2007

On Sat February 17 2007, Gene Heskett wrote:
> All of this talk, please understand, applies ONLY to crt circuits, the lcd
> circuitry in a lappies screen should always be run at its native pixel
> resolution, anything different will generally lead to an obviously
> degraded image, if the lcd will even accept it.

Gene: I had always followed the above adage, but of late, I've seen signs and
have had evidence that it no longer holds, and I've wondered about that. In
the early days of lcd's trying to use anything but native resolution always
looked horrible. I've seen more recent offerings where that didn't hold - so,
I wonder if you know what accounts for that. Is there some fancy
anti-aliasing going in the video cards, have the lcd chip technologies
changed, or what? For example, my HP ZX5000 laptop with native 1920X1200
screen reso, looks just fine if I down-rez it - there's a very slight
increase in aliasing, and a very slight blurring, but, nothing like I've seen
on early vintage lcd's.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA