Changing resolution on laptop

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Feb 17 18:09:27 UTC 2007

On Saturday 17 February 2007, Claude Jones wrote:
>On Sat February 17 2007, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> All of this talk, please understand, applies ONLY to crt circuits, the
>> lcd circuitry in a lappies screen should always be run at its native
>> pixel resolution, anything different will generally lead to an
>> obviously degraded image, if the lcd will even accept it.
>
>Gene: I had always followed the above adage, but of late, I've seen
> signs and have had evidence that it no longer holds, and I've wondered
> about that. In the early days of lcd's trying to use anything but
> native resolution always looked horrible. I've seen more recent
> offerings where that didn't hold - so, I wonder if you know what
> accounts for that. Is there some fancy anti-aliasing going in the video
> cards, have the lcd chip technologies changed, or what? For example, my
> HP ZX5000 laptop with native 1920X1200 screen reso, looks just fine if
> I down-rez it - there's a very slight increase in aliasing, and a very
> slight blurring, but, nothing like I've seen on early vintage lcd's.

I'd suspect in that case Claude, that the lcd itself is doing some
antialiasing actions. I have not actually tested that very much on my HP
dv5120us with a wide screen other than to note that it was butt ugly when
trying to run at 640x480, so it didn't take me long to change that, and I
haven't otherwise experimented with it since.  Come to think about it, I
think it is running at some slightly lower std when its booted to XP.
The actually correct mode doesn't seem to be available in XP Home.

I suspect this would almost have to be a 'try it and see' thing on most
lcd monitors. With the availability of single chip solutions for almost
everything, its possible such a function might be incorporated in the
better lcd units, but marketting wouldn't understand that as a desirable
feature (generally speaking) so any mention of it would never make it to
the outside of the box at Staples et all.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)