Who edits my ifcfg-eth0 ?

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Tue Feb 20 17:17:15 UTC 2007

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007, Robert Locke wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 09:08 -0500, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>> On Tue, 20 Feb 2007, Tim wrote:
>>
>>> Timothy Murphy:
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Thinking more about the original poster's question, I'm wondering if
>>> they have kudzu running each bootup, and whether it does it.
>>
>> That was my suspicion, although I don't recall it ever changing anything
>> in my installation.  On the other hand, my devices were all properly
>> detected, so I haven't modified the files myself either.
>>
>> There's an issue about the order in which devices are detected on bootup
>> (hence what names the interfaces get) that is fixed by using the latest
>> initscripts update.
>>
>> But before we diagnose the problem, we need to know exactly what fields
>> are being reset.
>>

> Matt,
>
> Didn't you tell us a few months ago about a bug/feature where the NIC
> wasn't properly detected during installation, and because the HWADDR did
> not get added correctly, kudzu might be coming up with "re-creating" the
> interface?

Yes, see my penultimate paragraph above.

> You mention having the latest initscripts, but perhaps if he is
> installing original FC6 versus the Unity respin?

It looks like the final fix is only in initscripts-8.45.7-1 (for FC6).
Anything earlier might arbitrarily rename certain network devices on boot.
I don't think it would necessarily change the *contents* of ifcfg-*, but
would definitely change the *names*, so it might seem like the contents
change.

Setting HWADDR might also be necessary, even with latest initscripts.  I
always set that, so I haven't tested without it.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu