need to convert a .lwp file

Joe Smith jes at martnet.com
Tue Feb 20 17:48:24 UTC 2007

George Arseneault wrote:
> Does anyone know how to convert a .lwp file. ... My
> preference is to convert them to Open Office with the
> formatting intact.

There is an active effort to develop a translator for converting lwp
files to ODF (OpenOffice.org Open Document Format). I don't know how far
along it is, but there are a lot of people who need it. Try a search--if
you can't find it, I'll track it down.

The actual text is in the .lwp file. I've used strings(1) and a text
editor to "recover" the text, but as you said, all the formatting has to
be re-done. I actually don't mind that so much, as the formatting is
usually a mess anyway. I can re-do it in OOo using styles to make it
consistent and do a better job. It does take time.

<Joe